Nishiwaki Program for Middle School Students
For many years, McKnight, Nelsen, Dimmitt, and Risdon Middle School students have participated in a Sister-City Cultural Exchange Program with the school system in Nishiwaki, Japan. Traditionally, a delegation of 14 students and two adult leaders from Japan will visit Renton for 10 days in August of 2019. The Renton Delegation will then visit these same individuals in Japan for 10 days in October. Our delegation will be accompanied and supervised by an Assistant Principal and a Teacher.
The educational value of this cultural exchange is beyond measure. It will provide our students the opportunity to share and appreciate cultural differences, learn about historical events in each country, and see the beauty of another place in the world.
The program is completely self-funded as each Renton student participating pays a set amount, which will fund all airline tickets, as well as the costs of group activities and events. Each Renton delegation family will host a Japanese delegation member in their home.
Please contact your school administrator for more information on the application process. This year's coordinator is Mr. Colin Falk. You can email him at firstname.lastname@example.org
Nishiwaki 2019 - Application Timeline
- Applications available at all middle schools: April 15 – April 26, 2019
- Student application DUE: April 26, 2019
- Screening of student applications: May 2, 2019
- Student Interviews
If selected, students will interview at their home school on the following dates, after school.
- Dimmitt Middle School: May 6/7, 2019
- McKnight Middle School: May 6/7, 2019
- Risdon Middle School: May 6/7, 2019
- Nelsen Middle School: May 6/7, 2019
Students will be able to ride activity buses home at 4:00 pm.
- Finalists Announced: May 9, 2019
- Students selected for the Renton Delegation and their parents will be contacted by 7:30 pm on May 9, 2019.
- Parents and students must attend a parent meeting on Wednesday, May 15 at 6:30 pm, at Nelsen Middle School, for the Nishiwaki Orientation Meeting.
Nishiwaki Exchange Dates
- Each delegation visit is ten (10) days
- We anticipate hosting the Nishiwaki Delegation for ten days, August 18th – 27th.
- The Renton Delegation will travel to Nishiwaki October 4th – 14th(will depend on dates of airline travel)