We are asking that our families take a few minutes to complete our FInancial Aid Survey to help us better serve you and our students.
GEAR UP Achievers
GEAR UP (Gaining Early Awareness and Readiness for Undergraduate Programs), funded by the U.S. Department of Education, is a national college readiness program designed to increase the number of students who are prepared to enter and succeed in post-secondary education.The grant hopes to deepen its efforts with school districts and community organizations to make college a reality for more middle and high school students in the state.
GEAR UP believes every student in South King County should have access to higher education. Through GEAR UP, every student will have opportunities to participate in support programs during and after school, college and career exploration, and family engagement activities. Our GEAR UP staff will help each student develop a plan for after high school and hold them accountable to that plan.
We are here to provide you the tools and resources to overcome the obstacles to pursuing opportunities after high school.
You here because you believe in your future and want to take advantage of every opportunity to make you successful with your goals for after high school.
- Instructional support in classrooms
- Tutoring in after-school programs
- AVID (Advance Via Individual Determination) Support
- Helping students and families understand the cost of college and how to pay for college with financial aid, scholarships, grants, work study and more
- Inviting student and families to college visits
- Providing career exploration, internships and summer camps to help students learn how to prepare for and access careers in STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering & Math) fields, and other areas of interests
- Collaborating with families in supporting your student's post-secondary dreams and goals
- Program continues to Lindbergh, Hazen and Renton High Schools as well as their first year of post-secondary education (ends September 2025)
- No defined time commitment – students can participate in any activity
GEAR UP Family Kick Off was a success! Over 30 families, close to 100 individuals, from Dimmitt, McKnight and Nelsen were in attendance. They had a chance to learn more about GEAR UP Achievers and meet the staff that will follow their students through high school graduation. Families were also able to meet Admin staff and teachers from our RSD high schools as well as the GEAR UP Achievers staff at the University of Washington's Office of Minority Affairs & Diversity Department. Most importantly, families were able to learn about the exciting events coming up in our schools, including exciting field trips and college awareness weeks!