Community Service Hours
Request to Waive Community Service Credit
In accordance with district Procedure 2414P, the principal or designee will determine waiver of this graduation requirement and will grant waivers when appropriate. Written requests for waivers may also be initiated by the parents/guardians or the student of legal age (18 and over). Requests must be submitted by May 29, 2020.
Depending on your school of attendance please send this request to the following email address:
- Hazen High Students: HHS.Waiver@rentonschools.us
- Lindbergh High Students: LHS.Waiver@rentonschools.us
- Renton High Students: RHS.Waiver@rentonschools.us
- Talley Sr. High Students: THS.Waiver@renotnschools.us
Community Service Requirement
Students are required to complete 20 hours of community service as part of their high school graduation requirements.
The project may be completed through participation in school activities (e.g., National Honor Society, Key Club, athletic teams, etc.) as well as other acceptable community activities.
- Community service hours are typically completed outside of school time. Additionally, the work must be voluntary in nature and not tied to any class credit or pay.
- It is recommended that the community service be related to the student’s career exploration or to a cause about which the student feels passionate.
- Written requests for waivers shall be addressed to the Principal and will be granted when appropriate, in accordance with Procedure 2414P.
Superintendent’s Certificate of Merit
A Certificate of Merit will be issued to high school students meeting the requirements below. This recognition is designed to honor those students who demonstrate a deep commitment to serving their community by going far above and beyond the graduation requirement for community service. Community service hours may be accumulated annually or throughout the high school career. Students will keep a written log and hours must be verifiable.
- A bronze-level designation on the certificate is earned for completing 80-99 hours of community service.
- A silver-level designation on the certificate is earned for completing 100-119 hours of community service.
- A gold-level designation on the certificate is earned for completing 120+ hours of community service.