Beginning Educator Support
The BEST Mentor Program has 3 primary goals to support Y1 and Y2 Teachers:
- Providing support
- Creating challenge
- Facilitating professional vision
Per the BEST Grant:
- Mentors of first year teachers provide an average of 1-2 hours per week for planning and reflection conferences, observations and providing feedback for each mentee. (Mentoring for second-year teachers is 1-2 hours every other week).
- Mentors of first- and second-year teachers provide a minimum of 4 formative observations with feedback over the course of the year.
- Mentors of first year teachers spend a day with their mentee observing a veteran teacher. (This year, we will not have the funding for second year teachers to go on an observation.) Typically, we provide subs for the mentor and mentee for a full day, but if a full day is not feasible, it could be a half-day.
- All mentors are specially trained and highly qualified
Director of Curriculum, Instruction & Assessment