McKinney-Vento Homeless Assistance Act
In an effort to strengthen education support for students who find themselves and their families in temporary homeless circumstances, the U.S. Federal Government has passed the McKinney-Vento Homeless Assistance Act (42 U.S.C. 11431). The term "homeless children and youth" means individuals who lack a fixed, regular and adequate nighttime residence. This includes students living in:
- Double-up housing with other families or friends.
- Runaway/homeless youth shelters (even if parents invite the youth home).
- Hotels or motels.
- Shelters, including domestic violence shelters.
- Cars, abandoned buildings, parks, the streets or other public spaces.
- Campgrounds or inadequate trailer homes
Students in homeless situations have the right to:
Get help enrolling and succeeding in school from the district's liaison for the Education of Homeless Children and Youth or from a designated building contact.
- Stay in the school they went to before becoming homeless or whatever school they were enrolled in last, even if they move out of the district, or they can choose to go to the local school in the area where they are living.
- Get transportation to their school of origin provided or arranged by the school district, or a joint effort among school districts.
- Receive the same services and access to special programs as provided to all other students.
For enrollment or transportation assistance please contact your school or us at (425) 204-2431.
If you are an outside agency or staff member that wishes to refer a student, use the MV Notification Form.
Dispute Resolution Process
Homeless children and youth have a right to attend the school of their choice while a dispute over their enrollment or school selection is being resolved. Disputes about enrollment or school selection will be resolved through the OPSI Dispute Resolution Process. Families may request a Dispute Resolution Form from the McKinney-Vento contact at their school or the district McKinny-Vento Liaison, Michele Starkey, 425-204-2295.
Title l / McKinney-Vento / Foster Care Liaison