- Student registers at their school, filling out the Online Registration.
- The Online Registration inquires if a language other than English is mostly spoken by the student at home or if a language other than English was the student’s first language.
- No student will be placed in an English language development program based solely on responses to this form.
- If the answers to either questions are a language other than English, or English AND another language, the student will be given the WIDA screener to determine the level of their English proficiency.
- Students who score with limited overall proficiency levels on the screener are eligible for ML services. Students who score Proficient overall are not eligible for ML services.
- Parents/guardians are notified in writing within 30 days of the student taking the WIDA screener if their student qualifies for ML services.
Students remain in the ML program until they have mastered the skills needed to pass the annual WIDA ACCESS assessment that is administered each spring. Students who have exited the program are monitored for 2 additional years to ensure continued success in the mainstream classroom.
Parents/guardians will receive a letter and the test results indicating if their child passed the WIDA ACCESS assessment.