Multilingual Services in the Renton School District promote cross-cultural understanding, and provide access to a rigorous academic curriculum while supporting students' growth in language acquisition.
- To provide MLs with equal education access and benefits.
- To help staff and students understand the benefits of being multi-lingual, and to use multi-lingual families' culture and funds of knowledge to help students and the school community.
- To enable MLs to become competent in listening, speaking, reading and writing English as outlined in the English Language Proficiency Standards (WIDA).
- To give MLs the opportunity to experience early academic success while they learn English as a second language.
- To build knowledge and learning in content areas as students acquire English.
- To comply with federal/state legal regulations concerning the education of English Language Learners.
Renton School District offers a continuum of services that are responsive to the needs of the students it serves (18% of the total student population). At the most basic level, all RSD teachers are encouraged to be trained in Sheltered Instruction, which ensures they teach in a way that bilingual students can understand. Other services may range from ML staff consultation with teachers and principals, to newcomer students learning targeted language development in small groups.
At least 99 home languages or dialects are spoken by Renton School District students.
Learn More About MULTILINGUAL SERVICES
Phone: (425) 204-2431