Graduate High School
Graduating high school is universally accepted as a critical step to a bright future. Among other things, high school graduates*:
- are more likely to be employed, make higher taxable income, and aid in job generation
- earn a national average of $8,000 more annually compared to high school dropouts
The Renton School District requires 4 components for high school graduation.
Complete minimum credit requirements
- Because of the transition from semesters to trimesters, see minimum credits below
Pass state tests (or approved alternatives)
- English Language Arts - Students must pass the 11th grade Smarter Balanced ELA Test or a state-approved alternative.
- Math - Students must pass the 11th grade Smarter Balanced Math Test or state-approved alternative.
- Science (starting with Class of 2021) - Students must pass the Washington Comprehensive Assessment of Science or a state-approved alternative.
Click for more information
Complete a High School and Beyond Plan
- All students must develop a High School and Beyond Plan showing how they will meet the high school graduation requirements and what they will do following high school. A student’s plan starts in middle school and is revised as he/she moves forward through high school.
- Exact requirements differ by high school. Check with your counselor for details.
- Minimum required elements of the High School and Beyond Plan are:
- Begins in 7th or 8th grade
- Identification of career goals based on a career interest and skills inventory or assessment
- Identification of educational goals
- A four-year course plan that fulfills graduation requirements and aligns with career and educational goals
- A resume or activity log by the end of twelfth grade that provides a written compilation of student’s education, any work experience, and any community service
Complete at least of 20 Community Service hours
Links to WA State graduation information*
*While the above links may provide helpful background information, remember that students must meet local Renton School District requirements in order to graduate.