Skip To Main Content

Main Menu

Explore More


Renton School District

CTE Dual Credit

Basic Steps to Claiming CTE Dual Credit

  1. Create a professional non-school email that will follow you after high school.
  2. Create an account on ctcLink (link to the right in Quick Links). All Washington public community and technical colleges use this platform for single student ID. It generally takes 2-3 business days to be assigned a ctcLink ID.
  3. Register / Apply for the college(s) to claim credit at through ctcLink.  Check the list of current courses through the link to the right under Helpful Files. 
  4. Note (from course list) whether the college uses SERS or High School Transcript to record your class grade(s).
    • If the college uses SERS for grades, setup an account on SERS (link under Quick Links in the column to the right) and register for the class. This allows your teacher to enter your grade, let them know you registered. 
    • If the college uses a high school transcript, use the link under Quick Links to request your high school transcript for pick up or to be sent to the appropriate college(s) after your class grade has been posted. 
  5. Follow the steps of each applicable college to request that the credit be transcribed to the college transcript.

Why Do I Want CTE Dual Credit?

CTE Dual Credit classes offer students the opportunity to earn college credit based on their performance in one or more classes through agreements (articulations) with specific local two- and four-year colleges. Classes, or series of classes, offering CTE Dual Credit have been evaluated by college faculty to ensure the same learning objectives are met, allowing students to claim credit for that class and move on to the next.

Depending on the course and college, students must earn a C (2.0) or B (3.0) in each of the required courses to earn the credit. Once the grade requirement is met, it is up to the student to decide whether to claim the credit. Once credit is claimed by the student, it appears on the student's college transcript. Claiming these credits now offers many benefits, including:

  • Cost Savings: Whether the course is applied to a program or an elective to a degree, each college course earned and claimed in high school is one less that needs to be taken at college tuition rates. This may save you hundreds, or even thousands, of dollars in the long run! 
  • Time Savings: Claiming CTE Dual Credit courses in high school means you’re that much closer to completing your college program or degree. Act now! Each partner college has specific time frames in which the credit may be claimed. See the individual college's current timeline for time limits to claim your credit. 
  • Register Early: Once college credit is claimed, you are a student of that college and are able to register for future classes as a Continuing Ed student, meaning you get earlier access to courses that fill up fast. 
  • Flexibility for the Future: CTE courses can be applied toward a program or certification to start work now and many may be applied toward associates or bachelor requirements later. For example, earn your Certified Nurse’s Assistant (CNA) credential now. Down the road, maybe you decide to become a Registered Nurse (RN). You’ve already earned these courses towards your two- or four-year RN program.

Several CTE classes have agreements with multiple colleges. Each college determines which Renton School District course(s) are required to meet the same standards learned in the college class offered. While students may claim credit at multiple colleges, each high school class, or series of classes, may only be claimed for college credit once. Students wishing to transfer credits should speak to the incoming (transferring to) college on their policies for accepting credit from the issuing (transferring from) college.

Student steps

Below are links to individual colleges student & family instructions for claiming CTE Dual Credit at our partner colleges.

Partner Colleges

Renton School District Career and Technical Education has Dual Credit through agreements (articulations) with several local two- and four-year colleges. These partners include: