Athletics and Activities
"To provide wholesome opportunities for student-athletes to develop from their experiences into well-rounded individuals capable of their full potential in a diverse, ever changing society."
We achieve this by teaching the values of self-discipline, commitment, teamwork, dedication and hard work. When learned properly these values assist in raising achievement levels of our student-athletes and also help prepare them for life after high school.
2020—2021 School Year Sports Seasons (Updated 11/18)
Guidelines from the Washington Interscholastic Activities Association (WIAA) and KingCo Conference offer a chance that Renton School District athletes could start practicing February 1st (with the exception of Gymnastics which starts January 25th) in preparation for interscholastic league competition, with modified and shortened sports seasons starting February 8th.
The WIAA available coaching period (open coaching window) has been extended through January 23rd. We continue to monitor the key indicators of Covid-19 Activity in King county and are working on in-school learning and school building reopening plans which includes student use of play and athletic fields. We will first establish use of facilities by students and school sports teams and then provide opportunities for community use of the facilities. Once our facilities reopen, we will consider allowing our programs that wish to participate in the open coaching window the opportunity to do so (similar to our usual summer program).
With the above information in mind, here is a possible high school athletic schedule for Renton School District Schools:
WIAA Available Coaching Period
- TBD—January 23
- WIAA Season 2
- January 25 - March 21 -Gymnastics
- February 1—March 21 - Basketball, Bowling, Boys’ Swim & Dive, Wrestling
- WIAA Season 3
- March 8—May 9 - Football
- March 15—April 25 - Regular season Boys’ Golf, Boys Tennis (Regional events for these sports will take place at the end of season 4)
- March 15—May 2 - Volleyball, Girls Soccer, Girls Swim & Dive, Cross Country
- WIAA Season 4
- April 26—June 13 - Girls Tennis, Fastpitch Softball, Track & Field, Baseball, Girls Golf, Boys Soccer
- June 7—June 13 - Regional events for Boys’ Golf and Boys’ Tennis
Note: WIAA is aware that the end dates for season 4 are after some high school graduations. They will work with member schools/districts to come up with the best post-season plan for season 4 athletes/teams.
- All dates are tentative as we continue to adjust our school year in response to the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Registration for the possible WIAA Available Coaching Period is now open on on the Athletic Registration section of the district website.
- We will open registration for the remaining WIAA seasons several weeks prior to the first allowable practice date. Please continue to check back for updated information.
- Due to shortened seasons, practices and contests could be scheduled on Saturdays and during traditional break periods such as Presidents Day and Spring Break.
Middle School Sports
Middle school sports seasons will be communicated once Renton Schools is able to return to in-person learning.
We appreciate your patience and understanding as we work through this very challenging situation. We will continue gather information and update you on state, regional, and local athletics news and decisions that affect Renton School District student athletes on our District website and social media. If you have questions feel free to contact your Building Athletic Director or the District Athletics Office.