Athletics and Activities
"To provide wholesome opportunities for student-athletes to develop from their experiences into well-rounded individuals capable of their full potential in a diverse, ever changing society."
We achieve this by teaching the values of self-discipline, commitment, teamwork, dedication and hard work. When learned properly these values assist in raising achievement levels of our student-athletes and also help prepare them for life after high school.
2020-2021 School Year Sports Seasons
New guidelines from the Washington Interscholastic Activities Association (WIAA) and KingCo Conference offer a chance that Renton School District athletes could start participating in interscholastic league competition with a modified and shortened sports seasons in late December. The guidelines also open the possibility that if King County is in Phase 3 or higher of the governor’s Safe Start Washington plan, there might be in-person coaching period for all sports (similar to what is usually offered in the summer) as early as Sept. 30.
With those requirements in mind, here’s a possible high school athletic schedule for Renton Schools:
- Season 1: Sept. 7-Nov. 1- No interscholastic competition
- Season 2: Dec. 28-Feb. 28- Basketball, Bowling, Boys’ Swim & Dive, Gymnastics, Wrestling.
- Season 3:
- Feb. 17- May 9- Football
- March 1- April 25- Regular season Boys’ Golf, Boys Tennis (State events for these sports will take place at the end of season 4).
- March 1- May 2- Volleyball, Girls Soccer, Girls Swim & Dive, Cross Country
- Season 4:
- April 26- June 27- Girls Tennis, Fastpitch Softball, Track & Field, Baseball, Girls Golf, Boys Soccer
- June 14-June 27- State events for Boys’ Golf and Boys’ Tennis
- NOTE: WIAA is aware that the end dates for season 4 are after nearly all high school graduations. They will work with member schools/districts to come up with the best post-season plan for season 4 athletes/teams.
- All dates are tentative as we continue to adjust our school year in response to COVID-19 pandemic.
- We will attempt to open registration at least four (4) weeks prior to any permissible WIAA sport-related activity. Please continue to check the Renton School District website four weeks prior to the season start date.
- Due to shortened seasons, practices and contests could be scheduled on Saturdays and during traditional break periods such as Presidents Day and Spring Break.
MIDDLE SCHOOL SPORTS
Middle school sports seasons will be communicated once Renton Schools is able to return to in-person learning.
We appreciate your patience and understanding as we work through this very challenging situation. We will continue gather information and update you on state, regional, and local athletics news and decisions that affect Renton School District student athletes on our District website and social media. However, if you have questions feel free to contact your Building Athletic Director or the District Athletics Office.