Stop Paddle Camera Program
A safe learning environment is essential for our students. Safety goes well beyond the classroom and Renton School District is emphasizing the importance of safety as students ride our school buses to and from school. School buses are among the safest modes of transport—students are about 70 times more likely to get to school safely when taking a bus instead of traveling by car, according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration.
But we know drivers today are more distracted than ever which can cause safety issues when our students are getting on and off school buses. To help protect our students, Renton School District has implemented a stop arm paddle camera program on 25 of our school buses. The cameras will record any driver who does not properly stop when bus stop paddles and cross bars are engaged to allow our students to safely enter and exit school buses.
The program begins November 1, 2019 and will allow a 30-day grace period where drivers will receive a warning if they violate school bus safety laws. Once the grace period is over drivers who illegally pass a school bus when the stop paddle is engaged will be issued a $419 ticket by King County court system.
Click here to find out more and see a video of our new bus stop paddle camera program.
Below is a video that talks about the new camera program and importance of driver awareness of the law. Also included are a few helpful diagrams to show drivers when to stop and a list of frequently asked questions.
Below are helpful diagrams to show when vehicles need to stop when the bus stop paddle and arm are extended.
Two-lane roadway with a center turn lane:
- What is a school bus violation?
- What is the process when a violation has occurred?
- What is the goal of the program?
- Why are you implementing these stop paddle cameras?
- When will the program be implemented?
- Will these cameras be on all RSD buses?
- How much is the citation?
- Will this citation go on my driving record?
- How much does it cost the district to implement this program?
- Who can I contact if I have questions about a citation?