Volunteering in the classroom
Renton School District has many opportunities for volunteering in schools. If you are a community member interested in volunteering, please complete the Volunteer Screening Form/Consent to Background Check form listed below and send it to the address provided; for parents, you can mail the forms or return completed paperwork to your student's school.
- Mentor a child through Communities In Schools of Renton (CISR)
- Serve in a classroom
- Assist in the library
- Help with field trips or PTSA sponsored events
As a volunteer in schools you may also reference School Board Policy 4200 and Procedure 4200P "Safe and Orderly Learning Environment" to learn more about the rules of being a visitor in school environments. Some important points in this process include:
- Visitors desiring to visit a classroom must inform the principal or designee not less than one day prior to the date on which visitation is requested, unless mutually agreeable to the classroom teacher and principal or designee.
- All visitors must register at the office upon their arrival at school.
- Classroom visitation must not detract from planned classroom activities.
- Visitors will not use equipment to record classroom activities unless the teacher has given specific permission.
For a complete list of the visitor guidelines please visit the links above.
Required form for volunteering:
- Volunteer Screening Form/Consent to Background Check - English
- Volunteer Screening Form/Consent to Background Check - Spanish
Mail completed form to Volunteer Screening, 7812 S. 124th, Seattle, WA 98178.
Volunteering with Athletic Programs
Volunteers wishing to work with an athletic team have slightly different requirements. Please visit our Athletics and Activities page for more information.