Rules and Regulations
- The Board of Directors of Renton School District No. 403 considers school buildings and facilities to be public property, which is to be used in the best interest of the entire community. However, school functions will have priority over community requests in processing applications for building use.
- Firearms are prohibited in school district buildings and on grounds (RCW28A.600.010).
- The use of tobacco products and alcoholic beverages in school district buildings and on grounds is prohibited (RCW 28A.210.310).
- Profane language, possession, or use of intoxicating beverages, boisterous conduct, and betting or other forms of gambling shall not be permitted on school premises.
- District facilities may be used for open meetings and performances subject to the policies of the district. District functions shall have priority over community requests for facility use.
- Applications for all uses of facilities by “non-school groups” shall be submitted to the building contact, through the application process, who shall determine the availability of facilities desired and acquaint the applicant with the existing policies, regulations, and service charges. The Superintendent or designee possesses the authority to make the final decision on the use of school facilities by any group. Both the Facility Rental Manager and the Superintendent or designee shall approve applications for revenue-raising activities.
- A single application may be made for a series of events of like character.
- The district reserves the right to cancel any permit, and refund the unearned portion of any payment made, at the district’s discretion, without explanation.
- The district reserves the right to reject any application without explanation.
- Approved rental applications shall be revocable at the discretion of the Facility Rental Manager or the Board of Directors.
- Approved applications are temporary approval to use district facilities and shall not be considered a lease.
- No use of building or grounds will be granted if the primary purpose is for private or commercial gain, or advertising purposes unless approved by the Superintendent or designee.
- All building use permits shall expire at the close of the school year. Applications for use of school buildings during summer, holidays, or vacations must be approved by the Theater Manager before the close of school.
- The building principal/manager is not authorized to approve a waiver of the fee.
- The applicant must give at least a ten (10) business day notice to the building manager or Facility Rental Manager of any cancellation or previously scheduled facility use. In case of failure to do so, the applicant will forfeit deposits and incur charges for expenses.
- A paid school district employee or an adult agreeable to the district must always be in the facility during after-school use of the facilities requested. (When a building custodian is engaged, it is understood that the custodian must be paid a minimum of 3 hours overtime which includes a minimum of 30 minutes to open and prepare the building and a minimum of 30 minutes to close and secure the building.)
- Applications for facility rental must be submitted online at least three (3) weeks before the start date.
- Facilities used shall be limited to those specified on the application. Additional or unusual services of the custodian or other district employees must be discussed with the Facility Rental Manager. Custodians do not have the authority to permit the use of facilities or equipment not included in the rental.
- The tipping of school personnel is not allowed. Only the school district shall pay employees for services rendered in connection with the rental of school facilities.
- The applicant must exercise the utmost care in the use of school premises and must hold the Renton School District harmless from any and all liability resulting from the use of requested facilities.
- It shall be the applicant’s responsibility to report, in writing, to the Facility Rental Manager any accidents or injuries suffered by individuals during the use of school district facilities.
- Any destruction of school property occurring during the applicant’s use of district facilities must be reported in writing to the Facility Rental Manager.
- Decorations or application of material to walls or floors must receive written permission of the building principal/manager.
- Applicants must remove, at their own expense, all materials and equipment or furnishings left after the use of school facilities. The school district will provide only normal custodial services in connection with the use of buildings or grounds.
- Excessive trash or removal of items will result in a disposal fee.
- Adequate adult supervision is required for applications to be approved. This shall include proper police and fire protection if necessary.
- Facilities will not be made available for any use which might result in undue damage or wear.
- Games of chance and lotteries will not be allowed in district facilities. “Amusement games” as defined by state law are permitted at school and PTA approved functions when licensed.
- Classroom use during the school year will not be allowed except by special permission of the building principal.
- Rentals must be paid in advance of the rental date unless other arrangements are made at the time of application. Other charges shall be paid promptly after billing by the school district. Late payment charges will be assessedfor late payments.
- Applicants' receipting funds from admissions or collections shall leave a financial statement of revenue and expenses with the building principal/manager and Business Office.
- Gym shoes are required in gymnasiums for all activity-type games such as basketball and volleyball.
- All meetings and functions shall terminate, and facilities vacated by 10 p.m. on school nights unless otherwise approved by the Facility Rental Manager.
- School equipment cannot be used except by special request and approval by the building principal/manager. This includes balls, nets, copiers, or other equipment.
- No school equipment will be removed from the district facility.
- Motor vehicles are to be parked in designated areas only.
- The rental of cafeterias or other spaces that are attached to a kitchen does not grant access to the kitchen equipment. Kitchen equipment can only be used when approved by Nutrition Services in advance and will require extra fees and staffing.
- Rentals of the Renton IKEA Performing Arts Center, Lindbergh Theater, and Hazen Auditorium are subject to additional terms and conditions.
Prior to using district facilities, all clients are required to provide a certificate of insurance. For a sample certificate, visit our website. If we do not have a certificate on file, one month prior to the event, your booking may be canceled, and cancellation fees would apply.
At their own cost, the client shall secure and maintain through the duration of their rental contract, Comprehensive General Liability insurance for bodily injuries (including sickness or death) and property damages, with a limit of not less than $1,000,000 for each accident or occurrence, and general aggregate with a limit of not less than $2,000,000; Excess/Umbrella coverage with a limit of not less than $1,000,000; Comprehensive Automobile Liability insurance for Bodily Injury and Property Damage, including Owned, Hired and Non-owned vehicles with liability limits of not less than $1,000,000; Employers Liability insurance (Washington Stop-Gap) with a limit of not less than $1,000,000 per occurrence; and Washington State Workers Compensation insurance - Statutory limits. Insurers affording coverage must carry a Best Rating of A- VIII or better.
With regards to General Liability, Auto Liability, Excess Liability, Renton School District #403, its directors, officers, and employees, shall be a certificate holder and added as additional insured with the following endorsement forms:
- Additional Insured form CG2011 for Ongoing and Completed Operations, or equivalent;
- Waiver of Subrogation form CG2404, or equivalent;
- and Primary and Non-Contributory form CG20010413, or equivalent.
Copies of the forms should be submitted with the Certificate of Insurance.
The Additional Insured should read: Renton School District #403, its directors, officers and employees, 300 SW 7th Street, Renton WA 98057.
Subject to the following conditions, the Applicant shall defend, indemnify, and hold harmless the School District, the Architect and their respective agents, employees, consultants, successors and assigns ("Indemnified Parties") from and against all claims, damages, losses, and expenses, direct and indirect, or consequential, including costs and attorneys' fees incurred on such claims and in proving the right to indemnification, arising out of or resulting from any act or omission of the Applicant, its agents, any of its Subcontractors of any tier, and anyone directly or indirectly employed by the Applicant or Subcontractors of any tier ("Indemnitor"). The Applicant will fully indemnify the Indemnified Parties for the sole negligence of the Indemnitor. The Applicant will indemnify the Indemnified Parties for the concurrent negligence of the Indemnitor to the extent of the Indemnitor's negligence. The Applicant agrees to be added by the School District as a party to any arbitration or litigation with third parties in which the School District alleges indemnification or contribution from an Indemnitor. The Applicant agrees that all of its Subcontractors of any tier will, in the subcontracts, similarly stipulate; in the event any does not, the Applicant shall be liable in place of such Subcontractor(s). PROVIDED FURTHER that the Applicant agrees to waive its immunity under the Washington State Industrial Act (Title 51 RCW). To the extent a court or arbitrator strikes any portion of this indemnification provision for any reason, all remaining provisions shall retain their vitality and effect.
Applicant understands and agrees that this agreement may be revoked or canceled at any time with or without cause, and the applicant shall have no claim or right to damages or reimbursement for any loss, damage, or expense resulting from such revocation or cancellation.
Gender Equity Statement
The Renton School District complies with the State of Washington’s “Fair Play in Community Sports Act” (Chapter 467, 2009 Laws, effective July 26, 2009) that prohibits discrimination against any person on the basis of sex in the operation, conduct or administration of community athletics programs. Third parties who contract with or receive leases or permits from the Renton School District, for a community athletic program are also prohibited from discriminating on the basis of sex. (See http://www.hum.wa.gov/documents/Brochures/PA091407B.pdf for a list of prohibited discrimination in public accommodations under state law.) If you have questions or comments contact Human Resources, 300 SW 7th Street, Renton WA 98057, 425-204-2370.