Please call 425-204-4901 between 8:00 and 9:30 am if your child will be absent or tardy. If you would like to call before 8:00 am or after 4:30 pm, please leave a message on our attendance line 425-204-4901 with your child’s name and reason for the absence. If a student is absent and the school has not been notified, attempts are made by school personnel to reach parents. If there is no parent contact then the absence is unexcused. Please make sure your emergency contact numbers are current.
Your child should feel well enough to be able to participate in the full day's activities - including P.E. and recess.
We request your child remain at home when sick with the following signs:
- If temperature is 100 degrees or above
- Vomiting, chills, or diarrhea in the past 24 hours, eyes that are red, draining or crusted, or a rash of unknown cause
- Persistent cough
For more information about when to keep your student at home, see Renton School District's Sick Child - When to stay home.
An excused absence may be granted after the parent/guardian writes a note which states the dates and reasons for the missed days. An excused absence as defined by Washington State Law:
- Illness: A doctor's note is required for illnesses resulting in absences for two or more consecutive days.
- Medical or Legal appointments: Please make every effort to schedule all medical/dental appointments outside of school hours.
- Religious Holidays
- Family Emergency (Example: Death of an immediate family member)
An unexcused absence is defined as any unauthorized absence from school. Examples include but are not limited to:
- Oversleeping (parent or child)
- Missing the bus or No transportation
- Staying with friends or family
- Family Vacations
- Hair appointments
Washington State Attendance Law (BECCA Bill)
After the seventh unexcused absence in a month or the tenth unexcused absence in a school year, the school district is required to file a petition in juvenile court alleging violation of the law.