English Language Learners (ELL) 425-204-2431
The English Language Learner (ELL) Program at the Renton School District promotes cross-cultural understanding, and provides access to a rigorous academic curriculum while supporting students' growth in language acquisition.
Renton School District offers a continuum of services that are responsive to the needs of the students it serves (18% of the total student population). At the most basic level, all RSD teachers are encouraged to be trained in Sheltered Instruction, which ensures they teach in a way that bilingual students can understand. Other services may range from EL staff consultation with teachers and principals, to newcomer students learning targeted language development in small groups.
- To provide ELLs with equal education access and benefits.
- To help staff and students understand the benefits of being multi-lingual, and to use multi-lingual families' culture and funds of knowledge to help students and the school community.
- To enable ELLs to become competent in listening, speaking, reading and writing English as outlined in the English Language Proficiency Standards (ELPS).
- To give ELLs the opportunity to experience early academic success while they learn English as a second language.
- To build knowledge and learning in content areas as students acquire English.
- To comply with federal/state legal regulations concerning the education of English Language Learners.
At least 99 home languages or dialects are spoken by Renton School District students.