Memo to Classified Staff
TO: Classified Staff
FROM: Human Resources
RE: 2017-18 Late Start & Weather Related Schedules Memo
As inclement weather and winter approaches, so does the potential for late start schedules and school closures. Here are some things to remember.
In the event of a late start for most classified employees:
Late start days count as “student days” and therefore are work days for 180 day employees. All classified staff members are required to work their regular number of hours per day or take appropriate leave per their contract. This means that if you are an hour late due to road conditions then you either need make-up that hour or take appropriate leave.
• Example: The employee is a 6 hour Para who works 1:1 with a student and school is 2 hours late. The employee reports to work as close to their regular shift as possible, (keeping safety in mind as well) and works his/her 6 hours. This is applicable even if the student is absent.
In the event of a late start for Meadow Crest Early Learning Center (MCELC):
On late start days in the rest of the district when MCELC cancels classes for students, MCELC staff still report to work for their normal shift.
• Example: The employee is a 3.25 hour Para in the Preschool Program and with a late start, Preschool is cancelled. The employee reports to work as close to their regular shift as possible and works their 3.25 hours.
In the event of a late start for bus drivers:
Bus drivers will report to work later than normal to start their routes at an appropriate time for road conditions, as communicated by the Director of Transportation.
In the event of a school closure:
• Classified employees working less than 260 days do not report to work.
• 260 day classified employees work their regular number of hours per day or take appropriate leave per their contact.
• KEC is open and 260-day KEC staff are expected to report to work or take appropriate leave.
Work calendars are available on the district website under Human Resources. If you have questions, please call us at extension 4-2370.