Introduction/ Registration Procedure/ Student Services
SUCCESS OCCURS WHEN PREPARATION AND OPPORTUNITY MEET!
The Renton School District wants to provide optimum learning opportunities for all students in order to ensure success at whatever they choose to do in life. To that end, the main objectives of the High School Registration 2017 & Beyond booklet are:
1. to provide relevant information
2. to function as a planning guide
3. to identify and describe course offerings
4. to assist in student planning
Specific registration procedures are developed by each high school and may vary slightly from school to school. Pre-registration, computer-assigned scheduling and some in-person schedule building are common components used in finalizing student schedules.
Between pre-registration and final scheduling, the staff determines the number of students who have selected each of the course offerings. This procedure results in the building of a master schedule of courses for the year; therefore, few schedule changes are permitted after pre-registration.
• Keep this registration booklet for reference.
• An important fact to remember is that course offerings vary among the high schools and from year to year—however, required courses are offered every year in every high school.
• The Student Counseling Center in each high school offers specialized individual and group counseling services. A staff of professionally trained counselors is available to provide confidential assistance on an individual basis to students regarding educational, vocational, personal and social issues. Group counseling is also provided to help students improve their ability to communicate and to relate effectively to others, as well as to consider educational matters.
Each comprehensive high school maintains a Career Center with up-to-date materials on occupations and post-secondary schools for students. The Career Specialist offers individualized assistance related to post-secondary training/education including information on schools, colleges and universities and on scholarship opportunities.