Nishiwaki Program for Middle School Students
For several years, McKnight, Nelsen, Dimmitt, and Risdon Middle School students have participated in a Sister-City Cultural Exchange Program with the school system in Nishiwaki, Japan. Risdon students will be able to participate in 2018. Traditionally, a delegation of 14 students and two adult leaders from Japan will visit Renton for 10 days in August of 2018. The Renton Delegation will then visit these same individuals in Japan for 10 days in October. Our delegation will be accompanied and supervised by an Assistant Principal and a Teacher.
The educational value of this cultural exchange is beyond measure. It will provide our students the opportunity to share and appreciate cultural differences, learn about historical events in each country, and see the beauty of another place in the world.
The program is completely self-funded as each Renton student participating pays a set amount, which will fund all airline tickets, as well as the costs of group activities and events. Each Renton delegation family will host a Japanese delegation member in their home.
Please contact your school administrator for more information on the application process. This year's coordinator is Ms. Susan James. You can email her at email@example.com
Nishiwaki 2018 - Application Timeline
- Applications available at all middle schools March 30 – April 18, 2018
- Student application DUE April 20, 2018
- Screening of student applications April 26, 2018
- Student Interviews
If selected, students will interview at their home school on the following dates, after school.
- Dimmitt Middle School April 30, 2018
- McKnight Middle School May 1, 2018
- Risdon Middle School May 7, 2018
- Nelsen Middle School May 8, 2018
Students will be able to ride activity buses home at 4pm.
- Finalists Announced May 8, 2018
- Students selected for the Renton Delegation and their parents will be contacted by 7:30pm on May 8.
- Parents and students must attend a parent meeting on Wednesday, May 9, at Risdon Middle School, for the Nishiwaki Orientation Meeting.
Nishiwaki Exchange Dates
- Each delegation visit is ten days
- We anticipate hosting the Nishiwaki Delegation for ten days, around Aug. 14-26.
- The Renton Delegation will travel to Nishiwaki 2/3-Oct. 11/12 (will depend on dates of airline travel)
Click Link to the student application here.