Sartori Elementary School scheduled opening Fall 2018
Sartori Elementary School
APPLICATION PROCESS & LOTTERY
Sartori Elementary School will be Renton School District’s first Option School. The application process is designed to establish how many students are seeking spots at Sartori, not to evaluate the students applying. All requests received prior to the sign-up deadline—February 15, 2018—will be included in the process to fill the school spots (that process is explained below). Names of all students submitted during the application process will be included in the Lottery process. There is no order placed on any names (outside of the priority given to North Renton Neighborhood students); all names will be selected at random during the Lottery process.
November 1-30, 2017: North Renton Enrollment Period
Students who reside within walking distance in the North Renton Neighborhood (as recognized by the City of Renton’s Neighborhood Association process) may declare intent to enroll prior to Open Enrollment. If a family declares intent to enroll during this period, they will be automatically enrolled at Sartori Elementary. North Renton early enrollment applications must be received by November 30, 2017 at 4:00 PM. North Renton Neighborhood families who declare intent after November 30, 2017 will participate in the Open Enrollment process described below.
November 1, 2017 – February 15, 2018: Open Enrollment Period
Open Enrollment for all Renton School District students may apply between November 1, 2017 and February 15, 2018 at 4:00 PM. (See application process below.) Applications received after February 15, 2018 will NOT be considered for the lottery process for 2017-18.
March 8, 2018: Lottery Process
An Enrollment Lottery will take place on March 8, 2018, 9 a.m. at the IKEA Performing Arts Center at Renton High School, 400 South 2nd Street, Renton. Families may attend the lottery, but do not need to be present. Families will be notified soon after the lottery by email and phone call of student 2018-19 enrollment status. (See below for explanation of the lottery selection process.)
Application Process (Now closed)
- Families may apply online using a Google Docs application. Families must submit individual applications for each child they wish to enroll at Sartori. This application process is intended to establish how many students are seeking to attend Sartori so that we can conduct a fair and impartial lottery. For every student that is selected to enroll at Sartori, his/her family will be asked to complete a full Renton School District registration packet.
- Automated confirmations acknowledging receipt of applications will be sent to the email addresses provided by families. If a family does not receive a confirmation of their application, please call 425-204-2349.
- For families without Internet access, paper applications will be available at local elementary schools and Meadow Crest Early Learning Center, and at the district’s main office (Kohlwes Education Center) 300 SW 7th Street, Renton WA 98057. Paper applications may be submitted to local elementary schools, Meadow Crest Early Learning Center, or the district’s main office. All paper applications must be received by 4:00PM on February 15, 2018.
- Applications received after the Open Enrollment Period (February 15, 2018) will not be considered for the lottery.
- The Lottery will commence by drawing one student applicant name at a time for each grade level in which spots are available after consideration of the North Renton Neighborhood applications. Names will be drawn until the grade level reaches capacity. If a grade level is full, names will no longer be drawn for that grade level.
- Once all grade levels are filled, all remaining names in the lottery will be added to the waitlist in the order that they are drawn.
- To support families, siblings will be given priority. If a name is drawn and there is space for both the student and their sibling(s), all will be enrolled. If a name is drawn and there is not space available for the sibling(s), the sibling(s) will be added to the waitlist.
- After the initial lottery, families will be notified by email and phone. They will then have 2 business days after notification to confirm that their student will attend Sartori. If a family does not confirm their acceptance within 2 business days, the administration will contact the first student on the waitlist. There will be no exceptions to this timeline.
Enrollment from Waitlist Process
- Incoming kindergartners on the waitlist will enroll at their neighborhood school.
- First through fifth grade students on the waitlist should remain registered at their current neighborhood school.
- When an opening becomes available in any given grade level, Sartori administration will notify the next applicant on the waitlist by email and phone. Families will have 2 business days after notification to confirm that their student will attend Sartori. If a family does not confirm their acceptance within 2 business days, the administration will contact the next student on the waitlist. There will be no appeals or exceptions to this timeline.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
- What if my student has a sibling, will he/she be admitted?
Siblings will be given priority at Sartori. If a child’s name is drawn during the lottery, his/her siblings will be added to grade level lists as well. If a grade level is full, the sibling will be added to the wait list.
- What if I have a first grade student who is accepted at Sartori this year, will my three-year-old child be able to attend when he/she enters kindergarten?
Because siblings will be given priority, kindergarten siblings will be enrolled if the current Sartori student is still enrolled. For example, a kindergarten sibling would not be granted enrollment for the next year if the current student will progress to middle school the next year.
- Will transportation be offered to my student(s)?
We are currently gauging interest in transportation. A decision will be made by the end of March 2018 in order to allow us to gather data on transportation needs of those who are enrolled.
- What middle school will my Sartori student attend?
When students enter the sixth grade, they will attend the neighborhood middle school which aligns with their original elementary school feeder pattern.
- Will Sartori have before and after school care?
Renton School District is partnering with Right at School to provide before and after school childcare at Sartori. More information will follow.
- What will the school hours be at Sartori?
Sartori Elementary hours will be 8:55 AM - 3:35 PM.
- What are the boundaries of Sartori?
Sartori is an Option School. This means that all students who live within the Renton School District may apply to attend Sartori by following the application process.
- Will Sartori have a Discovery program classrooms?
We will determine how we will meet the needs of Highly Capable students after the enrollment process concludes. Program decisions will be made based on the needs of the students who are enrolled.
- Will students at Sartori have an opportunity to participate in PE, Music, and Library?
Yes, like other Renton Elementary Schools, all elementary students will have 2 days of PE, 2 days of Music, and 1 day of library.
- Do I have to be present at the lottery for my student to be considered?
No, you do not need to be present at the lottery to be considered for Sartori. Families who are not in attendance will be notified of acceptance by phone and email.
Sartori Elementary School Overview
Thanks to overwhelming voter support in the Feb. 2016 school construction levy election, a new, much-needed Sartori Elementary School is being built at 332 Park Ave North, Renton.
Because the school is needed now as students and families continue to move into the district, construction of the new school is moving quickly and on-time. The school will be a kindergarten-through-fifth-grade school and will have a Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics (STEM) focus. Families from neighborhoods throughout the district could choose to enroll their child in the new school. The school will have flexible learning spaces that can be changed as the needs of students change; and that can be adapted to accommodate new, innovative technologies.
Sartori Elementary will be the district's first Option School. The district has begun the process to allow families to apply to attend the school (that process will establish how many families and students are seeking spots at Sartori, not to evaluate the students applying).
Sartori Elementary will provide learners with experiences in Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics (STEM) like:
- Real-world application
- Computer Coding
- Hands-on Science Experiments
- Collaboration with peers
- Integration of Technology
- Investigation of STEM professions
SARTORI ELEMENTARY SCHOOL CORE VALUES
Like Renton School District’s Core Values, Sartori Elementary School will include values of Service, Excellence, and Equity.
- Service: We serve our students, families, staff, and community
- Excellence: We strive for excellence in all that we do.
- Equity: We remove barriers and pursue outcomes that enable all students to realize their potential and maximize their future opportunities.
- Engagement: We will exhibit a high level of attention, curiosity, interest, optimism, and passion.
- Community: We will value our diverse community and celebrate all of the cultures our communities represent.
Sartori Elementary Community Information Nights
Are you considering enrolling your student in the new Sartori Elementary School for next school year? Want to learn more about the school before you make the choice? Attend upcoming Sartori Elementary Information Nights to hear from Principal Angela Sheffy Bogan, and learn about the school's focus and mission, and the application process to include the lottery process to fill the school.
Sartori Elementary School Information Meetings
Dimmitt Middle School, 12320 80th Ave South, Seattle
Tuesday, Nov. 28, 6-7 PM
Renton High School, 400 South 2nd Street, Renton
Thursday, Dec. 14, 6-7 PM
Risdon Middle School, 6928 116th Ave SE, Newcastle
Thursday, Jan. 11, 2018 6-7 PM
Hazen High School, 1101 Hoquiam Ave NE, Renton
Wednesday, Jan. 17, 2018 6-7 PM
Nelsen Middle School, 2403 Jones Ave South, Renton
Thursday, Jan. 25, 2018, 6-7 PM
Lindbergh High School, 16426 128th Ave SE, Renton
Wednesday, Feb. 7, 2018, 6-7 PMHave questions right now? See a list of Questions and Answers about the school below.