KCLS Online Accounts for All RSD Students and Staff
PLEASE NOTE, IF YOU ARE HAVING TROUBLE LOGGING INTO KCLS, YOU MUST SELECT A RESOURCE FIRST (OVERDRIVE, DATABASE, ETC.) AND THEN ENTER YOUR USERNAME AND PASSWORD INFORMATION.
KCLS and Renton School District are pleased to be partnering together to provide online library accounts to all students and staff in the district. Students and staff can now access KCLS accounts at https://kcls.org/students/.
KCLS STUDENT ACCOUNTS
Students in the Renton School District can now seamlessly log in from school, home or from any computer or device to use KCLS’ array of electronic resources, including the following:
Using their Student Account, students have access to live help from professional tutors online from 2 pm‐midnight daily. Online tutoring is available in English or Spanish from Tutor.com through the Student Portal at www.kcls.org/students. Students can choose the subjects they want to work, save projects in progress and review saved sessions. Students can also use the “Ask a Librarian” feature for research help at www.kcls.org/ask.
Using their Student Account, students can:
- Download eBooks in several formats. Many titles are also available as audio books. The KCLS eBook collection is searchable for Lexile scores, genre or subject.
- Download popular digital magazines through Zinio. The collection has about every genre, including Popular Science, Wired, Discover and many others for scientific types.
- Watch streaming videos, including many documentaries from Overdrive Videos and Access Video.
School Research and Learning
Each student’s account gives them access to more than 65 databases that include current and historical information on topics your students want, or need to know about. The more popular databases include:
- Biography in Context: Biographical sketches and articles focusing on nearly 275,000 individuals.
- Opposing Viewpoints: An online resource providing informed, differing views for each side of an issue.
- Press Display: Full view newspapers from 100+ countries with 60+ languages.
- NY Times Historical: Articles from New York Daily Times (1851‐1857) and New York Times (1857‐2009).
- Lynda.com: An organized collection of training videos for many types of software and computer skills.
- SIRS Discoverer: Articles on reading, language arts, current events, science, social studies, history, health, and technology from over 2,200 sources.
- Mango Languages: Language learning lessons with reading/writing/listening components.
- Britannica Online: Explore the updated online encyclopedia from Encyclopedia Britannica.
College and Career Prep
KCLS also provides information and resources to help students prepare for college and careers. Students can:
- Use Test Preparation services through Brainfuse.com to get help from online tutors 7 days a week from 1‐10pm to help prepare for the MSP, HSPE, and SAT tests.
- Use the Testing & Education Reference Center database to explore colleges and careers, or prepare for the ACT, SAT, and more with online books and practice tests.
KCLS STAFF ACCOUNTS
A KCLS Staff Account provides professional access to all of KCLS’ online information and tools without needing a physical card. And, like student accounts, Staff Accounts provide access to electronic materials so these accounts will never accrue fines or fees.
- Read, Watch or Listen: Download eBooks or audiobooks in several formats. Download popular digital magazines through Zinio or watch streaming videos, including many documentaries, from Overdrive Videos, Access Video and Hoopla.
- Lesson Planning: Access more than 65 databases that include current and historical information on topics your students want, or need to know about (a full list is attached).
- Professional Development: Access training videos through Lynda.com or learn language skills with Mango Languages.
- Support Students: Help students prepare for the ACT, SAT, college, careers using the Testing & Education Reference Center database.
KCLS LIBRARIAN SERVICES
KCLS librarians look forward to helping RSD students and staff access and utilize the resources that KCLS has available. KCLS has a variety of programs and services to help you meet your goals as educators and learners.
Our librarians are available to visit your school to provide:
- Classroom Presentations: A librarian can visit your class to share news and information about library collections, programs and services. Presentations can be tailored to your classroom’s needs, including book talks, lessons about databases that relate to an assignment.
- Teacher Workshops A librarian can visit the school and work with a group of teachers on how to make the best of KCLS resources in the curriculum, including our many premium databases and eBooks.
In the Library
Our librarians are eager to host teachers or students for:
- Library Tours Schedule a date and time to bring your class into the local public library for a tour. Your students will learn about the resources available to them and how to use them.
Contact your KCLS Librarian that serves your school for assistance with any of these services!
Benson Hill Elementary
Renton Park Elementary
Talbot Hill Elementary
Tiffany Park Elementary
Bryn Mawr Elementary
Campbell Hill Elementary
Secondary Learning Center
Honey Dew Elementary
Maplewood Heights Elementary
Sierra Heights Elementary
Meadow Crest Early Learning Center
Hazen High School