Responsible Use Policy
In the fall of 2016, Renton School District moved away from using an Acceptable Use Policy (AUP) for computer usage to a Responsible Use Policy (RUP). A RUP is a policy that treats the student as a person who is responsible for their own ethical and appropriate use of the Internet and their devices. As part of the update to this policy, staff and student/guardian signatures are no longer required as acceptance of this policy. Instead, students received this information in their Student Handbook.
Renton School District Responsible Use Policy (RUP)
Students and Families: PLEASE READ THIS TOGETHER
Statement of Purpose
Renton School District teachers and students use technology and internet-based tools in their classrooms on a regular basis to support student learning and prepare students to engage in the rapidly changing world. These technologies improve student communication and collaboration skills, provide an authentic audience, and extend learning beyond the classroom walls while building digital citizenship skills. Student access to technology requires responsible, courteous, efficient, and legal use. Our goal in providing access to these resources is to enhance learning experiences and to educate students in responsible and appropriate use. It is important that students and parents recognize that information posted on the internet is public, permanent, and needs to be appropriate.
Terms of Agreement:
- I agree to follow teachers’/building/district instructions when using technology.
- I agree to be polite, considerate, and to use appropriate language.
- I agree to report and/or help prevent any bullying, abuse, or harm of others.
- I agree to tell an adult if I read, see, or access something inappropriate, or if I witness inappropriate use of technology.
- I agree to follow all filters and security measures.
- I agree to use technology carefully and to conserve district resources.
- I agree not to share my passwords, except with my teacher or parent/guardian (Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act or FERPA).
- I agree to use only my own files and folders. I will not access another individual’s files and folders without his/her permission.
- I agree not to reveal or post personal information belonging to myself or another person (i.e., passwords, addresses, or telephone numbers).
- I agree to follow copyright laws.
- I agree to follow the technology check-out process.
Following Federal, State and, local laws, Renton School District will protect student and employee data. However, I understand that my use of any district technology (computer, network, internet, resources, etc.) will be monitored and is neither private nor confidential to district/authorized personnel. I understand that if I violate this agreement, the district’s policies and procedures, or my student handbook, I may not be allowed to continue to use technology or I may receive other appropriate consequences.