Enrollment in ELL
- The student registers at his or her school, filling out the Home Language Survey
- The Home Language Survey inquires if a language other than English is mostly spoken by the student at home (question #3) or if a language other than English was the student’s first language (question #2).
- No student will be placed in an English language development program based solely on responses to this form.
- If the answers to either question #2 or #3 are a language other than English, or English AND another language, the student will be given the ELPA21 screener to determine the level of his or her English proficiency. Students who score with limited overall proficiency levels (Emerging or Progressing) on the test are eligible for ELL services. Students who score Proficient overall are not eligible for ELL services.
- Parents/guardians are notified in writing within 30 days of the student taking the ELPA21 screener whether or not their student qualifies for ELL services.