A list of the categories is available here: https://community.opendns.com/domaintagging/categories
These rules are applied to the following user groups:
Generic Users – Very little access due to limited accountability
Elementary School Students
Middle School Students
High School Students
Filtering rules are district-wide and are not established by or for a specific building or program.
A list is maintained for all categories blocked/unblocked and specific websites blocked/unblocked beyond defined categories. Please consult this list to insure that you are not making a duplicate request. If you wish to appeal a previous decision, please see appeal process (below).
Requests for Websites to be Blocked
For Instructional Use:
1. Explanation of correlation to curriculum
2. How the website will be used in the lesson plan
3. Specific tasks students will need to complete
4. User group to be unblocked (see Filtering Rules above)
5. Complete URL (web address)
6. Phone extension of requesting staff member
7. A screenshot of the blocked message showing the reason the website is blocked
For Job Function:
1. Explanation of necessity for job-function
2. User group to be unblocked (see Filtering Rules above)
3. Complete URL (web address)
4. Phone extension of requesting staff member
5. A screenshot of the blocked message showing the reason the website is blocked
The Technology Services Helpdesk is instructed to send all requests that do not include complete information back to the sender.
Instructions for making screenshots are on the Tech Support tab of SharePoint.
These requests are acted upon after requests for blocking of websites.
Principal and Director requests will be evaluated by the CTO of Technology Services for legal, financial, and system support concerns and by the Director of Instructional Technology for legal, financial, and instructional concerns.
Initial decisions will be made and then taken to RTCC (Renton Technology Coordinating Council) for verification and further discussion.
Appeals: Appeals can be made directly to RTCC by appointment.